Saturday, December 3, 2011

The pilgrimage..

I was recently on holidays pre and post conferencing in Adelaide (again). I took the opportunity to head down a few days early to explore Adelaide's surrounds. Whilst I did make it to Hahndorf last time (and enjoyed a number of winery and cheese shop stops), I didn't make it to Hans Heysen's property, The Cedars. That was the top of my 'must visit' list this time. 

This 60 hectare property was where lived (moving in in the late 1800s) and painted. You could do a self-guided tour of the grounds, with informative displays of places he painted his distinctive works. You could easily see how the landscapes captivated his imagination and attention as you walked around the site and gardens.


There was also a guided tour of his studio (below, built in the early 1900s), as well as his house (with walls adorned with his paintings and sketches, as well as other famous works of art - a few Rembrandts thrown in for good measure!). The volunteer guides were full of stories about past distinguished visitors who were entertained and entertained there. Such a warm house, full of so many stories. Well worth a visit.


On Sunday, after a yum cha, I headed to McLaren Vale for some little sips. So many wineries to visit, so few designated drivers. I stopped in at K1/Geoff Hardy's wines (where I wished I was lunching on the deck, by the lake), Wirra Wirra (which would have been perfect for a picnic lunch), d'Arenberg (where I took some bigger sips), Coriole (where I stopped awhile amongst the gardens), and Chapel Hill (where I wished the suburb of my childhood had such an establishment). 

Wirra Wirra shiraz

Coriole prettiness

Coriole prettiness

Driving back to Adelaide I wondered if those sips had been too plentiful, when I happened upon this sight...


..but it turns out (from the number of comments I got on facebook) that it's just another Australian 'big' icon that *quite a few* of my friends had visited (some more than once!).

After these days of exploring, I had 3 days of concentrating at Glenelg, my favourite pallindromic seaside town. I then packed my bags and headed north into the Never Never (well, just south of the NN, to be precise). Stay tuned for the next installment.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...