Saturday, October 2, 2010

My afternoon adventure...

I love an afternoon of surprises - one that unfolds with serendipitous adventures and unexpected turns. I had a few hours up my sleeve before I was to see a play, so I thought I'd pop in to the GOMA to see Douglas Kirkland's exhibition. 






I was environmentally friendly and caught the bus into town and was planning on a boring switching in at KGS for another bus to the Cultural Centre, but ding - back door, driver! - I popped off at North Quay and took a leisurely stroll over the (polarising) Kurilpa Bridge. I had a perfect view of what's turned/turning out to be a precinct of which Brisbane can be proud- and what a great, rainy week-end destination. 






 The exhibition did not disappoint, with candid photos of famous faces (Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Judy Garland, Audrey Hepburn, Andy Warhol), movie sets (Moulin Rouge, Australia, The Sound of Music), video clip sets (the making Thriller... hee hee), and a set from a few weeks he spent with Coco Chanel - so many favourites.





Taking a short cut through the State Library I noticed that 'The Lindsays: artists, writers and publishers' exhibition was up in one of the upstairs nooks of the SLQ. I also had a wander in to 'Windwells' for a little channelling and divining and 'Finely Bound' and learnt more about bookbinding techniques than I knew there was to know.




My short cut continued through the 'old' part of the gallery and my heart soared when I saw that the Hans Heysen exhbition was on. My mum did a walk along (a part of) the Heysen trail last year and, inspired by her photos and with recent articles I'd read have me planning my trip down there next year. These paintings have just made me wish May 2011 would come a whole lot quicker.

 Droving into the light

Then I went to see my play, which was a bit of an anti-climax.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...