Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ever-so ghastly

I'm watching Miss Marple this Sunday night as I contemplate the goings-on over the last few days and I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to know just what the bally-hell is going on with the world! Maybe the Mayans had it right? 

This Friday I was horrified by what I saw after turning on my television. After an early mark from a work meeting whilst in Melbourne I tuned in to see tsunami's rolling (?) across the Pacific in across Japanese fields, highways, and cities in real time. Although it's important news and footage that captivates and repels in equal measure, I cannae take much more, Cap'n. So very sad for those living there, as well as for family and friends worried about loved ones living in Japan. 

My coping mechanism was a morning of contemplation at the NGV, first the Fed Square exhibitions (Stormy Weather (how apt for our earlier disasters), ManStyle (OohLaLa)) and the amazing Joseph Brown collection, and then across the river to the NGV International to Luminous Cities and then through the Asian collection. 

I wanted to share these pretty Japanese vessels that were used by the men, and eventually just by the Samurai, to keep precious things (I like to think of them as early hip flasks. A secret stash of sake!)


I was somewhat remiss by not getting the name of the piece or artist of the next piece. It was a video projected onto the wall at the entry to the Asian collection on the 3rd floor. It's a clever juxtaposition of traditional Asian landscape and a modern, bustling city.


Watching the waterfalls in the  mountains and the whizzing cars through the intersection was relaxing, the repetitiveness soothing. Just before leaving, there was this: 



Such a mesmerizing piece of work. Do pop by if you're in the area. 
The contemplative and calming wandering through a gallery is so good for the soul.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...